A regional-scale numerical groundwater model was built using the MODFLOW-USG code to evaluate the changes in groundwater due to additional coal resource development in the Namoi subregion.
The groundwater model consists of up to nine hydrostratigraphic layers with the alluvium, Pilliga Sandstone, Hoskissons Coal and Maules Creek Formation explicitly included and other formations lumped into interburden layers. The modelling domain spans an area of about 59,000 km2 with thickness exceeding 1500 m. It is represented by a variable Voronoi mesh with a resolution of 300 m around coal resource developments and streams, increasing to 3000 m in areas remote from the coal resource developments and streams.
Product Finalisation date
- 22.214.171.124 Methods
- 126.96.36.199 Review of existing models
- 188.8.131.52 Model development
- 184.108.40.206 Boundary and initial conditions
- 220.127.116.11 Implementation of the coal resource development pathway
- 18.104.22.168 Parameterisation
- 22.214.171.124 Observations and predictions
- 126.96.36.199 Uncertainty analysis
- 188.8.131.52 Limitations
- Currency of scientific results
- Contributors to the Technical Programme
- About this technical product