The Narrabri North Mine is the only operational underground coal mine in the Namoi subregion. The mine produces a high-energy export thermal coal and a low-ash, low-sulfur, low-phosphorus, mid-volatile PCI coal. Coal was first produced in 2011 and full commercial production from the first longwall occurred in October 2012. Mining in the second longwall panel was completed in mid-January 2014 (Whitehaven Coal, 2014a).
Production of saleable coal for the 2013–14 financial year was about 5.25 Mt, including about 0.85 Mt of PCI coal. The longwall has been consistently producing coal at above the original design levels since production commenced in the second panel. A number of options including top coal caving or an increase in the width of the longwall face are being considered to increase production (Whitehaven Coal, 2014a).
Product Finalisation date
- 1.2.1 Available coal and coal seam gas resources
- 1.2.2 Current activity and tenements
- 1.2.3 Proposals and exploration
- 18.104.22.168 Coal
- 22.214.171.124 Coal seam gas
- 1.2.4 Catalogue of potential resource developments
- Contributors to the Technical Programme
- About this technical product