Geological and bioregional assessment: Stage 2 Baseline Analysis
The geological and environmental baseline assessment for the Cooper GBA region synthesises knowledge about the geology and prospectivity of shale, tight and deep coal gas resources, water resources, protected matters and risks to water and the environment.
The report is separated into six chapters:
- About the region - Introduces the natural and human environments of the Cooper GBA region and summarises the legislative and regulatory controls governing water and gas resource development.
- Geology and gas resources - Defines the stratigraphic and structural characteristics that may influence shale, tight and deep coal gas prospectivity, extraction and potential environmental risks.
- Water resources - Describes the current conceptual understanding of surface water, groundwater and water quality, and the surface water – groundwater interactions in the region. This section includes an assessment of the potential water resources available for future drilling and hydraulic fracturing for shale, tight and deep coal gas development.
- Protected matters - Describes the environmental and cultural knowledge in the region, with an emphasis on Matters of National Environmental Significance and Matters of State Environmental Significance. Landscape classification is used to systematically define geographical areas with similar physical, biological or hydrological characteristics.
- Potential impacts - Identifies the potential hazards associated with all life-cycle stages of shale, tight and deep coal gas development, and defines a set of causal pathways which represent the logical chain of events, either planned or unplanned, that may link unconventional gas development activities with potential impacts on water and the environment.
- Qualitative assessments – Assesses three issues important to the community, government and industry: screening of drilling and hydraulic fracturing chemicals, hydraulic fracturing and well integrity.
The ‘Geological and environmental baseline assessment for the Cooper GBA region: Geological and Bioregional Assessment Stage 2’ is available via the product download to the left, and is supported by six technical appendices below.