Coal resources in the Sydney Basin bioregion occur in the Southern and Western Coalfields of the geological Sydney Basin. The primary coal-bearing stratigraphic unit recognised in the Sydney Basin bioregion is the Illawarra Coal Measures. From the Illawarra Coal Measures, the most significant resources are extracted from the Bulli Coal, Wongawilli Coal and Tongarra Coal, and the Balgownie Coal Member. The Illawarra Coal Measures are also prospective for coal seam gas (CSG) operations in the Southern Coalfield. However, the thermal maturity of the Illawarra Coal Measures in the Western Coalfield indicates low CSG potential.
Product Finalisation date
- 1.2.1 Available coal and coal seam gas resources
- 1.2.2 Current activity and tenements
- 1.2.3 Proposals and exploration
- 1.2.4 Catalogue of potential resource developments
- Contributors to the Technical Programme
- About this technical product